Friday, March 13, 2009

Waking Dreams

I think sometimes we spend so much time fantasizing about how good things could be, we don't recognize when they are becoming what we always believe they could. I know that sentence is a little convoluted, but all I am trying to say: our day dreams do activate things, and cause us to make changes in the way we behave, thus helping us to achieve what we've always imagined we could. What happens to many of us all too often is that we're so busy looking for things to be exactly as we've imagined them that we miss the reality of our waking dreams coming true.

I've been thinking a lot lately about becoming the woman I always imagined I could. What I am recognizing is that in many ways, I am becoming her. She gets compliments about the things I've always wanted to be, and to behave. Other people notice that I am becoming the woman of my dreams, why is it so hard for me to recognize her in the mirror. The word says that as a man (or woman for that matter) thinks.. so is he. If I think of myself as strong, and healthy, well taken care of and highly productive while walking in my purpose.. then my actions tend to follow those thoughts. Oftentimes, I am so hard on myself that I miss the small milestones that I make in my journey and see my plight in such a negative light that I forget to celebrate my progress.

If you are like me, your own worse task master, I encourage you to look at who you've always wanted to become and what you've always wanted to accomplish and celebrate your milestones. I have committed my mind to that for a few days.. not to be contented to stay there, but to encourage myself to reach further and tackle more goals. I am also doing it so that I may see the journey as something to celebrate and not something to lament. Growth is a process... but I am so grateful that my dreams are coming true in my waking hours. That's encouragement in itself!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Speak it!

At 34, I finally feel I'm becoming the woman of my dreams - pursuing the lifestyle, I've always dreamnt.

Thank you.

ND McCray

Kimberly Tennile said...

Hey N.D. I just noticed your response! It's a long row to hoe, but it is so worth it! And just think, we're just getting started, we have a whole lifetime to greet new spaces in ourselves!

Tonya B. said...

Now, approximately 6 years later, I'm sure you've grown into THAT woman. It seems like becoming the woman I want to be changes as I get older. That women I became is great, but there is a greater woman I wish to become. It seems like there is always another level - a level with new things to strive for, a new mindset, and perhaps a more sound outlook on life.