Wednesday, December 17, 2008

So You Want To Be Married?

Marriage is a beautiful institution ordained by God. It is the joining of two souls for the purpose of family and for fulfilling destiny. It is not to be entered into to fill empty space in your life, because you might as well, to get a ring or to have a wedding. It is to be taken seriously not as some magical romantic eraser of your loneliness. So often people approach marriage from such a selfish standpoint. It's all about what they need, but to truly have a prosperous marriage, selfishness will need to die, and the death will be painful!

Right now, as a part of the series at my church (The Awakenings Movement, Houston, TX) we are talking about rewriting raggedy rules for relationships. It is appropriate for me because over the last year, the idea of marriage has become less an idea and more a desire. After my last relationship, I decided that I was done being a "girlfriend." My desire is to be a wife. My decisions changed, the way I approached my friendships changed, the way I allowed men to interact with me changed. If I say I want to be a wife, then there are some standards that I must raise in order to fit the position. I didn't want to make superficial, surface changes. I wanted my changes to be lasting and to be a mirror of the type of person I want to attract into my life to share purpose. I began practicing the sacredness of union even in the midst of having no one anywhere near me to marry. I believe that is part of realizing the responsibility that comes along with a mate the Most High chooses for you.

So if you are a woman (or a man) for that matter who is proclaiming a desire to be wed, take it seriously. Let it be more than lip service. Commit your spirit to the Most High to be refined so that you may attract a Godly mate that is purposed for you and you two together can accomplish great things. If you are currently married, sanctify yourself once again to your marriage. Let that be a constant pursuit along with peace and forgiveness. We are equipped with the power to have healthy relationships, we just have to be willing to do the work. I committed to the idea of commitment, because of it my life has changed for the better, so I can only imagine the way the work I've done now will enhance my marriage once the fullness of time has come and I am ready to receive what the Most High God has for me.

No comments: