Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Heart That Trusts

It is easy to trust God when what we expect to happen is happening… but what about when things are going down that look nothing like the promise… It is a long journey I’ve found from vision to fruition. This journey can be filled with minute to minute heartbreak, simply because I’ve projected my plan on how the vision should come to pass on the situation. I’ve made it a priority that my reality be as I saw it in my head as soon as possible. I have learned and continue to be reminded that my time table and God’s time table don’t work the same way. This wait then becomes a stretching of my faith, and in turn increases my trust in the Most High. I recognize now more than ever that a sincere trust in the promises and the care of the Most High has to encounter some form of test in order to verify it’s strength.

I think all those greek myths had me believing that the Most High God behaved in the ways I’d always read those Greeks had encountered humanity. The Greek Gods were petty and merciless towards humanity… involving themselves in human activity in a way that was more power hungry than love oriented. I think many of us see the Most High in that way. That he plays cruel tricks on us for his amusement. That’s not the case. Any uncomfortable feelings we may experience, as much as we dislike being uncomfortable is for the purpose of our growth. It is a form of tilling the soil in our hearts so that something new may grow there. Not only will there be growth, but there will be fruit, and this fruit becomes sustenance to others who are on different parts of their spiritual journey. Nothing we experience is in vain.

So as we cultivate a heart that truly trusts the Most High God, we will have to be uncomfortable. We will feel a little lost and left alone. The truth is, a heart that really finds its delight in the Lord will not be swayed by circumstances. (That’s an excellent gauge to see where we stand on the trust spectrum). I was meditating this week on the three Hebrew men found in the book of Daniel. They said to the King, Our God is able to deliver us from your furnace, but even if he chooses not to, they’d rather die than to bow down to another god… How’s that for trust, despite the outcome, whether I live or die.. whether it works out the way I think it should or not… I still lay my trust down at the feet of the Most High.

No comments: